According to the U.K. Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, most people are side sleepers. If you are a part of the majority who sleep in such a position, you might have complained of stiff neck or back pain at least once.
To be comfortable and to have the support that your head needs, you have to invest in the right pillow. That being said, read on and learn more from the best pillows for side sleepers reviews that we will mention below. This will make it easier to decide which is more suitable to have a good sleep and to wake up energized, instead of complaining of pain and discomfort.
The Best Materials for Side Sleeper Pillows
When searching for a pillow that will be comfortable for side sleepers, the material is one of the most important considerations. That being said, memory foam is one of the most popular.
They provide customized comfort and support
There is a contour feature that allows it to follow the shape of the head. It is quite expensive, but it is worth your money.
Latex is another material that you might want to take into consideration. It is an innovative material that is also capable of providing the support that the head and neck need. It does not easily shrink, making it withstand many years of use.
Feather-filled pillows are also popular. They are filled with natural materials and they can also be comfortable. The problem is that they can easily lose their shape. They will flatten out easily. This is also not ideal for people with allergies.
Another innovative material for a side sleeper pillow is buckwheat. It is a traditional Japanese pillow that contains buckwheat seeds. It provides contoured and firm support. It is also said to be effective in the reduction of snoring. Plus, it keeps you cool throughout your sleep. One problem, however, is that it can make a rustling noise when you move.
Why the Right Pillow Matters
Some of you might think that these pillows are expensive. However, you need to see it as an investment, especially if you are a side sleeper. With this, here are some of the compelling reasons to have such a pillow:
- Provides Pressure Relief: When you are sleeping on your side, the neck, head, and the lower back experience more pressure, which can lead to pain and discomfort when you wake up. This can be avoided if you have the right pillow, allowing you to sleep at the right angle. The pillow must support the neck and head in a neutral position.
- Corrects your Posture: The right sleeping posture will be critical for your comfort. A side sleeper pillow will also help with this. It will make it possible for the neck to be aligned with the rest of the body, keeping the spine straight.
- Keeps You Cool: This is one thing that will be important regardless of your sleeping position. The right pillow will regulate the body temperature, making sure that you don’t get too hot in your sleep.
Essential Factors to Consider
Aside from the materials, here are other important considerations when searching for the best pillows for side sleepers:
- Firmness: Do you want the pillow to be firm or soft? Why choose when you can always go for one that can be personalized? With this, I suggest that you go for a pillow that offers customization depending on what you are most comfortable with.
- Height: Choose a pillow with a height that will allow the head to align with your spine. Again, it will be best if you can pick a pillow that offers customization so that you can make it taller or lower based on the position of your head.
- Cover: In the case of most of the products that are mentioned in this guide, they have bamboo covers. This is a material that is breathable and also eco-friendly. The cover should not be rough.
- Durability: A good pillow might come with a premium price. You should see it as an investment. This makes it important to make sure that it is long-lasting. See to it that it will not easily go flat.
- Hypoallergenic: A good choice of a side sleeper pillow would be one that is also hypoallergenic. This will prevent sneezing, colds, and cough when you wake up. It will ensure a healthier you when you wake up.
- Warranty: If you want to have peace of mind, pick a pillow that comes with an extensive warranty coverage. Plus, it will also be good if there is a money-back guarantee, which can provide an assurance of your satisfaction.
Tips for Side Sleepers
Aside from using the best pillows, here are other tips for side sleepers:
- More than the right pillow, the right mattress is another investment that you will need. It must support the curved areas of the body, which are the waist and the neck. They will help to relieve pressure and make you more comfortable.
- Do not put your arm under the pillow when you are sleeping. The weight of your head can be a burden and your arm can end up being numb!
- It might also be a good idea to place a pillow in between the knees when you are sleeping. This will help in preventing the spine from being pulled out of alignment by your upper leg.
- Stretch as soon as you wake up. Especially if you sleep in a fetal position on the side, stretching will aid in the reduction of muscle tension.
Top 5 Best Pillows for Side Sleepers Reviewed 2018
If you are clueless about which product will make the top choice, this section will list down some of the top products that you have to include on your list.
Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Memory Foam Pillow
With thousands of Amazon reviews, most of them are praising this pillow, this is one product that should definitely be a part of your list.
Among others, one thing that we loved the most about this pillow is the use of memory foam as the main material. The shredded foam can be personalized based on your personal preferences. You have the option to add or remove foam based on how dense you want the pillow to be.
This is also hypoallergenic, making sure that you will have a good sleep. To add, it does not contain formaldehyde, heavy metals, lead, and mercury.
It also comes with a bamboo-blend fabric. The main benefit of the latter is that it helps to regulate temperature, making you feel cool throughout your sleep.
To provide you with peace of mind, it is also a good thing that it comes with a five-year warranty. The manufacturer assures that within such period, the pillow will not go flat. More so, if you are unhappy in any way, you can return it to the manufacturer and you will be given an unconditional refund.
· Provides customized comfort
· Support is evenly distributed
· Can have a foul smell
· Some might find it too soft
Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
This pillow is made of a special mix of proprietary foams that can offer the ideal comfort and support that will be essential for all side sleepers. Compared to shredded memory foam, the materials used in this pillow are believed to be more resilient.
Looking at its features, one of the most notable is the Kool-Flow bamboo cover. More than being eco-friendly, it is also well-loved by many because it offers superior breathability. This regulates the temperature of the body to keep you cool when you are sleeping.
You also have the option to adjust the fill of the pillow, allowing you to have it personalized based on the comfort and support that you prefer.
Like most of the top-rated pillows for side sleepers, it is also hypoallergenic and dust mite-resistant. Plus, it does not contain toxic materials.
Lastly, the manufacturer is offering a warranty that lasts for 20 years, which is one of the longest that you can find on the market. They also have a 120-night refund policy if in case you are unhappy in any way with your purchase.
· Helps to control body temperature
· Comes with a soft and comfortable cover
· Offers option for customization
· Drying takes a long time
· Some might find it too firm
Xtreme Comforts Hypoallergenic Bed Pillow for Side Sleepers
In your search for the best pillows for side sleepers, the material used is an important consideration. In the case of this pillow, you will love how it uses Certipur US-certified memory foam. The thickness of the pillow can also be adjusted. It is not just for side sleepers, but for all sleeping positions.
The bamboo cover is also impressive, which is known for its micro-vented technology. Simply put, the latter encourages superior air circulation, which will have a positive impact on your comfort. This is unlike in the case of other pillows that can make you end up soaking wet in sweat.
As it is machine-washable, there is no need to worry about its care and maintenance. This also makes the pillow lasts for a long time.
Lastly, it is covered with a six-year warranty. Another thing that can provide you peace of mind is that it is covered with a money-back guarantee for 30 days.
· Firmness can be adjusted
· Keeps you cool during your sleep
· Too tall for some users
· Can emit a foul odor
Classic Brands Conforma Cushion Memory Foam Pillow
This is another memory foam pillow that deserves to be included on our list of the top five picks. The memory foam is hypoallergenic, so there is no need to worry about sneezing. It also resists dust mites and does not contain toxic components.
With the responsive memory foam that is incorporated in this product, you can have an assurance of your comfort. It is effective in providing pressure relief. Your shoulders, neck, and head will surely feel better when you wake up.
To add, it is also worth noting that the memory foam in this pillow is ventilated, which is the reason why it can effectively regulate your body temperature when you are sleeping.
The manufacturer is offering a three-year warranty for this pillow.
· Your head stays cool when you sleep
· Some might find it too small
· Can deplete easily
Good Life Essentials Shredded Memory Foam Pillow
Better sleep, guaranteed – this is what you can expect with the use of this pillow. The shredded memory foam can resist dust mites and allergens. It does not contain irritants. It provides the orthopedic support that your head needs.
It also comes with a 50% bamboo cover, which is known for its breathability. This will have a positive impact on your comfort.
This is also completely machine-washable. With this, you will find it easy to maintain the pillow in its tip-top condition.
To provide a guarantee of your satisfaction you will have thirty days to try this pillow. If you are unhappy in any way, you can have it returned to the manufacturer and you will be given a full refund. Plus, there is also a lifetime warranty.
· Has a breathable cover
· Easy to maintain
· Can have a foul smell
· Not as superior as more expensive choices
With the best pillow for side sleepers reviewed in this guide, we hope that it is now easier for you to make the right decision. The options are endless, but this should not give you a reason to decide in haste or decide on the basis of price alone.
Personally, I would say that Coop Home Goods Premium Adjustable Loft Memory Foam Pillow is the top pick from the five products that we have briefly reviewed. With thousands of favorable reviews, you can be confident that it is indeed an impressive choice. It has premium construction, can offer exceptional support, and will give you a comfortable sleep!